The deck was a challenge.  The compound curves required lots of cutting, lots of patching, lots of shaping, lots of clamps, lots of time, and lots of patience.  I'm not happy with the quality of the finished product.

For Kayak 2, I'll spend more time on design and eliminate compound curves, or use a different material for the deck


Layout for deck and cockpit.  Using paint thinner as a weight is not a good idea.

 

A crack started as I began to curve EPS.
 
It was a big crack.
 

A really big crack.  Not that easy to put a curve into 1" EPS.  I put a fiberglass band aid on the outside side.
 
Using hacksaw to cut out cockpit hole
 
Because of the crack, I started scoring the underside of the deck.  My cutting machine making fore-aft cut.
 
The machine made with a 12" backsaw and clamps was a little heavy.  It worked, but not great.
 
Because of the compound curve, had to score in both directions.  I found Ryoba saw worked better than my machine.  The saw had a line making the depth I wanted.
 
After another crack started, I added diagonal scoring.
 
Shaping deck to compound curve.  Deck curves side to side and fore to aft.
 
Glassing inside of deck.
 
Testing to see if I could get the EPS to curve.
 
Fit isn't nearly good enough with jigs/clamps I've improvised.
 
Putting compound curve in fore deck has curved the back edge.